The Mausolea & Monuments Trust

Sacheverell-Bateman Mausoleum

Standing in a prominent location to the east of the church and adjacent to a section of medieval wall (possibly representing a fragment of the old manor of Morley, long since demolished).

Three-bay single-storey Perpendicular Gothic Revival style mausoleum. Roof hidden behind parapet. Cross finial to east.  Red sandstone ashlar walls with stepped baseplinth, buttressing and parapet stringcourse. Ogee-headed niches carrying statuary to south elevation.  Multi-foil mullioned lights grouped within square-headed opes to south and west with round-head ope to east having stained glass by Burlison and Grylls.  

Finely painted ceiling to interior.  Marble sarcophagus to centre of floor having glass inlayed within the lid, forming a cross. Altar to east wall.  Framed memorial inscription, on vellum, to wall.


George Frederick Bodley


Grade II* (England and Wales)

Year Built



Gothic Revival


The mausoleum was built in memory of Hugh Alleyne Sacheverell-Bateman (1860-1896) by his wife, Anna (1866-1946). The couple lived at Morley Manor. Bateman was a good musician, a splendid shot and an expert horseman. Prior to his marriage he had led a number of exploratory expeditions to Asia and North America and had learned to sleep in the saddle. Apparently he was asleep while returning from a day’s hunting when his horse, which knew the way home, walked under a low branch. The branch struck Bateman full in the face and knocked the stem of his pipe through the roof of his mouth. He lived for a time but finally died of septicaemia. The Bateman’s had no children and Anna did not marry again until 1913. Her second husband was Commander Russell Lister-Kaye who was Deputy Director of Naval Intelligence during the 1st World War. Morley Manor was sold in 1938 and, at Anna’s death in 1946, the mausoleum became the property of her sister’s grandson, the late Duke of Valderano (d.2005). It was he who, in 1996, consigned it to the care of the MMT.

The mausoleum will be open on Saturday 8 September and Saturday 15 September from 2.00 to 4.00 pm as part of Heritage Open Days.


Good. During the last eight years, the roof, stonework, ironwork, stained glass and vellum inscription have all been restored by the MMT with the help of grants from English Heritage, the Glazier’s Trust and the Barbara Whatmore Charitable Trust, as well as donations from our members (2006).


BoE: Derbys (1979), 285;

Samuel Fox, The History and Antiquities of the Parish Church of St Matthew, Morley (1872);

Research carried out by Sheila Randall, church warden at Morley, and her correspondence with the late Duke of Valderano.


If you're visiting this mausoleum and would like to take this information with you, why not download and print the PDF using the link below:


Churchyard of St Matthew,
Church Lane,


Related Articles/Publications

2003 MMT News November
Restoring the Sacheverell Bateman mausoleum; the Wilson mausoleum, Warter; Keston Roman tombs ... more

Evicted from Eternity
Country Life article by Michael Hall ... more

Roger Bowdler's article for Churchscape
A paper discussing the significance of mausolea, introducing the work of the MMT ... more

Rural Charity of the Year
Country Life award to the MMT ... more

The Decay of Dyinjg
An article by Christopher Woodward for the Society of Architectural Historians of Great Britain Newsletter No. 61 Summer 1997 ... more

This site uses cookies to enhance and improve your experience when browsing. To find out more about the way in which we use cookies please read our Privacy & Cookies policy